Saturday, September 13, 2008

Where Is Your Boast?

Jeremiah 9:23-24-“Thus says the Lord: ‘Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I DELIGHT, declares the Lord.’”

Recently I was reading the passage of scripture above and was convicted. There have been many occasions in my life that I haven’t boasted in the Lord with all my might, especially when talking to others. I loved Him very much so but, there have been times I let my circumstances rule more than the Lord in my life. How kind of Him to show me this! I should be so excited to tell others about what the Lord has accomplished for me, not what I have accomplished. The passage says that I am to boast in the Lord! I need to realize that more than anyone else in the world, He “understands and knows ME”, that “the Lord is a God who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the ALL the earth.” You know what else? It says that “He delights in doing this!” As John Piper says, “our call in life is to glorify God by enjoying Him FOREVER.” How foolish of me not to do this at ALL times! Christ sent His son to die for me so that I can enjoy this everlasting freedom in Him!

Jeremiah 10:6, 10-"There is NONE like You, O Lord; You are GREAT, and Your name is GREAT in might. But the Lord is the TRUE God; He is the living God and the EVERLASTING King."

There is nothing in this world that I should be boasting in besides our glorious and mighty Father who is in Heaven. The One who sent His son to die showing us His never ending steadfast love. Oh what hope this brings!

The words from the hymn below, “How Deep the Father’s Love” help to remind me of what it is that I should be boasting in:

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

Here are some questions that I needed to ask myself…maybe they apply to your life as well:

1. Is there a thing or situation in my life that I’m more focused on than glorifying God?

2. If someone were to look into my life right now would they see a person that boasts in the ways of the Lord? Or someone that boasts in the ways of the world?

3. If the answers to questions one and two where yes, than what am I going to do to change this?

-Candace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What's up, always i used to check weblog posts here early in the daylight, for the reason that i love to find out more and more.
Feel free to visit my blog post : Best online slots sites