Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Psalm 22

As I was flipping through the Psalms recently, I decided to give Psalm 22 a read, and the Lord graciously showed it to me in a totally different light than ever before. He helped me to see the Psalm from the perspective of the dying Savior on the cross, rather than reading it from my own self-centered point of view. This fresh, Christ-centered perspective has helped me to get my eyes off of myself and onto the one who truly suffered a lack of God's presence in my place. Listen to the cries of David that point toward the cries of the lonely Savior from the Cross:

Psalm 22:1,2 "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer, and by night, but I find no rest."

Psalm 22:14,15 "I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint; my heart is like wax; it is melted within my breast; my strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to my jaws; you lay me in the dust of death."

This is true abandonment. This is real loneliness. Though King David, you, and I can feel alone, our subjective feelings are nothing in comparison to the agony Christ suffered on the Cross as a result of being separated from the Father.

Read Psalm 22 from Christ's perspective and receive a fresh awareness that Jesus suffered total abandonment in our place so that we might draw near to a holy God and never be alone again.


-Amber-

No comments: