Friday, April 27, 2007

Couldn't Think of a Good Title

You wake up in the morning, walk out of your bedroom and maybe grab a cup of coffee or a quick bite to eat. Normally, immediately after this would be time for devotions. However, today you just don't feel like doing them. What's the point anyways? besides you sinned again yesterday in a particular area that has been hounding you for years, so how can you approach God's Word and expect Him to give you any grace? Does this sound familiar? have you ever experienced these types of thoughts or feelings? I know that I have. Sometimes every day of the week.

Here are a few reasons as to why we shouldn't decide to NOT read: (I'm sorry if that statement is confusing :)

1. It Glorifies God and Humbles Ourselves
Perhaps one of the most humbling things that we can do is to acknowledge to God that we desperately need Him even if every part of our being desires to do something other than read His Word. James 4:7 says, "submit yourselves therefore to God." When we pass up our devotions for something else we fail to submit ourselves to Him and to His Will. Essentially we are placing ourselves in His rightful place and attempting to rule over our lives. Who would have thought that such a small thing could have such devastating and prideful implications? However, when we do "submit" ourselves to God we humble ourselves before Him and scripture says that "He will exalt you." Some of my sweetest and most intimate times with God have been periods where I had no inclination to read God's Word, but by His grace read anyways.

2. Us = Not Drifting.
Many times I have foolishly listened to the Devil's empty promises and told myself that I will read tomorrow or later that day. This is stupid and sinful(blunt yes, but true). We Never drift toward Godliness. If we wait to read God's word until the "mood strikes us" then I can assure you, the only scripture we will hear will be the little that is read to us on Sunday. I have even carried my Bible with me all day thinking that somehow His truth will seep through the pages. How foolish, how utterly prideful. It is very necessary and in fact vital that we not pass up opportunities to submit ourselves to God and His moral law.

These are only two reasons, but there are many more. We just have to read scripture to find them ;)

Hopefully these words have not come across as preachy or prideful All of these things I mentioned are areas that I have struggled in and desperately need God's help to grow in. I just wanted to share what I believe God laid on my heart.

P.S. I stole the drifting thing from Mike Bullmore.

-Kyle-

No comments: