Thursday, March 6, 2008

New Words

I have learned two new words this week that I thought to share with you.

Impenitent - "Not feeling regret about one's sin or sins"

This was our state before God softened our hearts and led us to repentance: Romans 2:5 "But because of your hard and impenitent heart you are storing up wrath for yourself on the day of wrath when god's righteous judgement will be revealed."

What concerns me is that there are many times when I allow my heart to grow "hard and impenitent" in regards to my sin. This is directly contrary to what state I should be in, in light of the gospel. God has freed me from hardness of heart and has imparted upon me sufficient grace to repent and be sanctified.

Pawky - "cunning; sly."

Thought this word may not have as much biblical implication as impenitent, it still does apply to my deviations from Gods Word.  Countless times I have rendered to the thinking that my sin goes unnoticed by God or that He doesn't really care about the state of His elect.  In my pawkiest of moments (just pretend thats really a word), I even try and outwit the Word of God or explain it away in a desperate attempt to justify my sinful lifestyle.
Romans 1:22 "Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling man and birds and animals and reptiles"

The truth of the matter, is that we only think we are pawky.  In fact, we are stupid.  Only fools who lay claim to the title of wise.
May God grant us the grace to soften or impenitent hearts, and eliminate our pawky thinking in regards to our sin.

-Kyle- 

3 comments:

Lana said...

I really enjoyed your post Kyle and love learning new words...especially when you apply them to life and scripture the way you did. Thanks for sharing!

Jenn Romanski said...

I second Lana's comment! I liked this post a lot.

Other new words you should look up:

snarky
opprobrium
brobdignagian
algid
naff
oikology (favorite.)
xanthochroi
yestreen

sherlock said...

"Pawky".... thats a new one for me. Impenitent not quite as much.
Thank you for the interesting post.