Thursday, January 24, 2008

Where's The Music?

Last Sunday, a message was given concerning our affections toward God. A phrase was used that, "Truth without affections is like life without music." Technically, you could use anything to replace the word music. A word that hits closer to home for you perhaps? Something like, truth without affections is like life without football, work, family, friends and so on. The point is, that when you take one of these things out of your life, it could seem boring or joyless. The same can be said of our Christian life when we know all the truths, but don't have any of the feelings that should accompany them.

I bring and offering of worship to my king
No one on earth deserves the praises that I sing
Jesus may you receive the honor that you're due
O Lord, I bring an offering to you

In my own life, I'm afraid that often times, these truths have become familiar to me. I can become complacent about aggressively pursuing these truths and keeping them ever before me. I can become lazy in studying these truths so that objective affections can grow out of objective truth. The Cross, should never become familiar to me. What Christ did, should never become familiar to me. Who God is, should never become familiar to me. God's truths should become so real and amazing to us that it affects our lives. It should affect our joy, countenance, emotions, attitudes and be an example to others. Who wants to be apart of a faith that is dry and devoid of passion? I have to ask myself how I can sometimes lose my voice shouting at a football game and then struggle to sing when I'm tired on Sunday mornings? Once again, this is a clue as to what I'm giving my affections to. We can't love what we don't know and when my affections for the Lord begin to wane, I know that's a big hint telling me to get in my room and pursue spending time with the God and allowing His truths to affect my affections. By God's grace we can all have a passionate love for the Lord if only we will take the time to pursue it. I once heard a saying that "Music is what feelings sound like." If that's true what would my feelings about God sound like? Bad karaoke music? My prayer is for my affections to be a fragrant offering to God.

"What shall I do to glorify and worship this best of beings? O that I could consecrate my soul and body to His service, without restraint, for ever! O that I could give myself up to Him, so as never more to attempt to be my own! or have any will or affections that are not perfectly conformed to His will and His love!" - Valley of Vision
-Lana-

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this post, Lana, especially after the great discussion we had at homegroup last night about it...because...you know how it is...You talk about it at homegroup, then application depends on if you actually do something with it the next day. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

lets just say I did my devotions after reading this Lana.