Thursday, February 7, 2008

Clinging to God's Promises

I long to have faith like Abraham. God promised the patriarch what was humanly impossible, and Abraham believed Him. That’s why Romans 4:18-21 is one of my favorite passages:

In hope [Abraham] believed against hope, that he should become the father of many nations, as he had been told, "So shall your offspring be." He did not weaken in faith when he considered his own body, which was as good as dead (since he was about a hundred years old), or when he considered the barrenness of Sarah’s womb. No distrust made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised.


One thing I love about this passage is the absolute nature of its language. Abraham allowed for “no distrust”; he stood firmly, “fully convinced” that he would see God’s promises fulfilled. He was 100% certain that God would do what He said. No wavering allowed.


With God’s help, I am on my way to cultivating that kind of faith. I’m not there yet; I may not get there in my lifetime. But: I’m on my way. I have made a fundamental change in the way that I try to look at God’s promises: with faith! This choice, the decision to grasp His promises tightly and to believe them, has had a great impact on my life. Here’s an excerpt from a journal entry I wrote a few days ago:


Though the fight for joy is still a daily battle for me, what helps me the most is choosing to cling to God’s promises and actually believe them (novel idea!) instead of desperately fighting to win this war without the hope of God’s help. I have begun to make the choice to rest. To believe.To be still in God’s “future grace,” still in his promises, and still in his power, instead of despairing in my failure.


Some verses that help me to focus on God’s ability and promises to accomplish the impossible: Isaiah 41:17-20, Ephesians 3:14-20, and 2 Cor.12:9-12
. I love these verses because each communicates God’s power to do far more than I ever could do myself or even think to ask of Him. Though the desert (naturally) seems irreversibly dry, He promises flowing streams to the desolate heart. I will believe it! Though I am painfully aware of my weakness, it is then that I am strong in His unending power. Though I can’t comprehend or feel His love for me, I believe that He is able to restore my soul to know His love, even in a way that “surpasses knowledge.”


I'm not saying I won't waver. I will need to redirect my unbelieving thoughts to believing thoughts. I’ll have to ask God for forgiveness for doubting His promises and His faithfulness to carry them out. There will be times when I revert to hopelessness, instead of believing God as Abraham did. But I have faith that God will even help me with that weakness as He works in me each day to make me more like His Son.


Thank you, Father, for your promises, which are "yes and amen" in Christ. Please increase my faith to believe them!


"For no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ." 2 Cor. 1:20


-Amber-

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing Amber. It is encouraging to hear what God is accomplishing in your life through your weaknesses. That way, when it is all said and done you can look back and give him all the glory! what a privilege Amber. Keep fighting and believing. We are all praying for you

Lana said...

What an outstanding post Amber! It is funny that God seems to be working on the area of "faith" in both our lives, but in different ways. This was extremely helpful to me and only reiterates what the Lord has been teaching me. It's amazing to me how concerned the Lord is with even our sorrows and David says He keeps track of our tears!"You have kept count of my tossings; put my tears in your bottle. Are they not in your book?-Psalm 56:8". But he promises to wipe our tears away =) Rev 21:4. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this Amber. It is great to know that God is working in other people's life daily. It seems like you are focused on and actively pursuing God. This is cool to see.

-Kevin-