Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Clash

For those of you who don’t know The Clash was a week long conference held at Messiah College in Pennsylvania. The conference was focused on Apologetics and our current worldview. On Monday morning, as I looked at the daunting schedule of waking up at 6:30 in the morning and five, hour and fifteen minute lectures a day I honestly didn’t know what to expect. I began thinking, is this going to be one long week of lectures and practical application, or am I going to be able to meet God personally and profoundly? As it turns out God met me personally through group discussions and practically through the brilliant men teaching in the lectures. During the week there at the Clash God showed how short I am of his glory and how much I need to work on. The main areas that God helped me grow in were encouragement, selflessness, diligence, and humility. In the area of humility God really revealed himself through his vastness as the creator of everything and the sustainer of all life. I felt humbled by the love that was shown to me by such a vast God and the love I should show to those around me who are fellow image bearers of God. On the Wednesday of that week Nathan Sasser, the leader of the conference, spoke on a practical approach to defending the faith and reaching out to unbelievers. At the beginning of that message he said two statements that have really stuck with me. One was that "A defense in the faith has to be without fear," and that "giving a defense of the gospel should be with gentleness, meekness and respect." I am not the kind of person who is afraid to talk to people, but when it comes to bringing up the gospel the fear of man creeps in and reminds me of my fleshly desire for a cool reputation. On the other hand I am constantly judging others for their actions and rejecting who they are as God’s creation. Instead of praying for those who I think are foolish I am constantly putting myself above them in my own mind. After a long week of apologetic focused preaching I was reminded by Kellet’s message of our constant need to show incarnate love to those who don’t know their need for a savior. Also, I was also freshly reminded of how much I need a savior and how deep I am in my own sin without Christ’s precious blood. I will leave you with a daily prayer that I have formed through the numerous teachings at the clash. May the reflection of gratitude for saving grace in my life through a meek and gentle love be a testimony to those who are unaware of their need for the gospel.

-Nathan-

2 comments:

Lana said...

Thanks for sharing your testimony on Sunday and for posting it here. It was encouraging to hear how the Lord worked in you and all that you learned to apply in everyday life. - Oh and Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday buddy. Excellent job on sunday!!