Monday, August 13, 2007

"The future is not yet ours."

This passage I read today by François Fénelon encouraged me in my battle against fear. I hope it encourages you too:


Let us then think only of the present and not even permit our minds to wander with curiosity into the future. The future is not yet ours. Perhaps it never will be. It is exposing ourselves to temptations to wish to anticipate God and to prepare ourselves for things that He may not destine for us. If such things should come to pass, He will give us light and strength according to the need. Why should we desire to meet difficulties prematurely when we have neither strength nor light as yet provided for them? Let us give heed to the present whose duties are pressing. It is fidelity to the present that prepares us for fidelity in the future.


Though the future does not belong to us, it belongs--and always has belonged--to God! Oh, happy, comforting thought! We needn't fret over what might lie ahead because the Creator of time is already present in each of our tomorrows, waiting to meet us with sufficient grace for everything he will require of us.


-Amber-

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow Amber, this is very encouraging. Thank you for reminding me how God holds our futures in his hands, and that we shouldn't fret about it. excellent!

Rebekah Schwab said...

That is so encouraging. It is humbling when he puts it in the way that we are trying to put ourselves in a position we are not yet ready for. How gracious of God to save us from ourselves, when we want to be in control.

Rebekah Schwab said...

ps. thanks guys, for doing this blog. I regularly read and am regularly encouraged by what you all write. Thank you for taking the time to share and put into words what the Lord is doing in your lives.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this qoute big sis! that was exactly what I needed to hear while being away from home for so long. Hope everyone is well back in J-ville, I miss you all! Know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

"Proverbs 16:9- The Heart of man plans his ways, but the Lord establishes his steps!"

"Psalm 31:14- But I trust in you, O Lord; I say "you are my God" my times are in you hand."

Lana said...

Amber, I loved this quote! It seems like the kind of words that should be spoken with strength and conviction and dramatic music rising in the background. It sounds like François Fénelon had a true grasp on our temptation to live in the future instead of the present. This was so helpful to me! Thanks for sharing this.