Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Contradiction... an Understament

I was saddened to read yesterday that the Jacksonville Jaguars donated 30,000 $ to Planned Parenthood, A well known abortion program that advocates the killing of unborn babies. Not surprisingly, the only coverage of this has been positive and even that has been sparse. In light of all this, I am slightly confused as to what my reaction should be. The Jaguars are my favorite team in the NFL but this news is discouraging to say the least. Should I continue to support the team or shun them? Should I go on strike for a week and miss a game in protest or go on as usual, religiously watching every game? What is my moral responsibility here? Albeit the players themselves probably had nothing to do with the "Charity", but you don't see any outrage or discontent being expressed by any of the players on the team. In addition, many of the players have made a public profession of faith and claim to be Christians. Shouldn't they have some sort of reaction to this if they are what they say they are?

OK, let me step down of my high seat of judgment and indignation and inject some reality into the situation. We know that the world we live in is one of sin and disobedience and we shouldn't be surprised at these types of events. Just turn on ESPN. All you will hear is 24 hour coverage and opinionated news of the Micheal Vick debacle. Almost ironic that the all anyone seems to care about is the killing and abuse of dogs, while the murdering of babies is simply ignored or applauded. Dogs for babies... hmmm. This is the world we live in, and we (Christians) can't afford to be caught off guard by it. It is my duty to recognize the sin, stand up for truth, and let the grace of God draw and change sinful hearts. God judges, not me. God saves, not me.

-Kyle-

2 comments:

Nathan Edwards said...

I think that the world we live in like you say is very sinful and we are going to interact with things like advocating abortion...if we have no say in the matter I think(correct me if you think I'm wrong) we should recognize the common grace shown through the image of God in these amazingly gifted athletes. Thanks for keeping my gaze upwards Kyle.

Anonymous said...

hmmmm... I like your point nate. I agree that we should recognize the common grace of God that is all around us and thank Him for it. Essentially, I think the responsibility of these actions lies in management. Mainly, Wayne Weaver. I guess that I would like to see one of the players at least speak to the matter. Thanks for your thoughts, a topic like this is excellent not only for debate amongst Christians, but an excellent evangelistic opportunity as well