Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Battle in the Morning

If you’re like me, almost every morning seems to be a battle to get out of bed and do my devotions. I thought it was encouraging to hear that the great, John Piper, struggles with the same thing and to see how he fights the battle. Here is him telling about one morning in particular.

Click. KSJN plays softly. Click. I turn it off in three seconds. It is 6:00a.m. I want Noel to sleep till 6:30. I slip out from under the sheet and quilt and tuck them in around her again. “God, I’m tired. Help me.” I can hardly move. My eyelids are paralyzed. I can lift them with fingers. Not necessary. My blue energy boot slippers and terry cloth robe are in their usual spot on the floor by the bed. I could find them in my sleep.
I’m sitting on the edge of the bed. “Maybe I should sleep in this morning. Noel can get the boys off to school. I might get sick if I don’t get more rest. I’ll be more efficient. I spent half of my ‘day off’ at the hospital…. Get off of me, Satan! In the name of Jesus Christ, the Almighty, get off my back! God, I’m tired. Help me…. Those who wait on the Lord will renew their strength. They will mount up like with wings like eagles. They will run and not be weary” (Isaiah 40:31). The slippers and robe are on now. The night-light in the bathroom spills out into the hall. I creep by the open door of the boys’ bedroom on the way to the basement. “God, thank you for my sons. Oh, how I love my boys! Wake them up in righteousness, Jesus.”
The basement has no heat, but one room is finished and has a carpet and a sofa and a desk. Click. I turn the three-way lamp on low. It is 6:05. The Bible is open on the couch from the day before. There is an orange pillow for my elbows. I throw the brown sweater Noel made me over my head like a monk’s habit (to keep off the draft from the window) and begin.
“God, I’m tired. Help me. Please, open my eyes so I can see wonders in your Word. Oh, God. Mighty God! ….ext.
“And now my wife, Lord. Thank you for her. Protect her form harm and from the evil one. Give her joy in the ministry with me……ext.
“And finally, my sons. Even in their sleep, Lord, turn their hearts to you. And when I wake them with your Word, sow that seed in humble, open soil….ext.
I meditate on Mark today and try to see the inner meaning of the miracle of the feeding of the five thousand….ext.
The grandfather clock sounds half the Westminster chime. It is 6:30. My heart is full. My eyes are open. My faith is alive. My joy is warm. My conscience is still. My hope is strong. I will awaken them all with love!

Taste and See, Savoring the Supremacy of God in All of Life. – John Piper

Kevin

4 comments:

Jenn Romanski said...

Oh man. I have this book, and still remember reading this little "devotion" 2 years ago. Knowing that Piper goes through the same struggles, and seeing how he passionately fights the same temptations...what an encouragement.

Glad to see a post from you Kevin...and even more glad to see it is an excerpt from a book! Does this mean you are *gasp* reading now??? :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting that. It was exactly what I needed! I just love how the Lord shows us little things in the coolest and most unexpected ways!!

Lana said...

I love how John Piper is such an example of actively fighting against his flesh and sinful tendencies. I know I need to do that a lot more! Thanks for posting this, Kevin.

Anonymous said...

Dido what everyone else said. About time you posted ;)