Monday, October 29, 2007

The Fierce Fruit of Self-Control

Galatians 5:22-“The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace…… self-control.”

“The very concept of ‘self-control’ implies a battle between a divided self. It implies that our ‘self’ produces desires we should not gratify but instead ‘control.’ We should ‘deny ourselves,’ and ‘take up our cross daily,’ Jesus, says, and follow Him (Luke 9:23). Daily our ‘self’ produces desires that should be ‘denied’ or ‘controlled.’” –John Piper-


How do we strive against our fatal desires? Paul answers: “I labor, striving according to His power, which mightily works within me.” (Colossians 1:29)

Remember that if we exercise self-control by faith in Christ’s superior power and pleasure, Christ will get the glory!

Father in heaven, I pray that you will work in me the will to fight sin that my will desires. I confess that there is a war within me. I grieve over the remnant of my corruption. Help me to have the desire that there is nothing greater then the love of your son Jesus Christ! Grant that I would treasure Him above all else.

-Candace-

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great encouragement sis... I'm so proud to be your brother :)

Candace said...

kyle you crack me up!